Do I need to register for self assessment?

This short guide covers whether you need to register for the self assessment tax service with HMRC. 

When you may need to register for self assessment:
  • your self-employment income was more than £1,000 (before taking off anything you can claim tax relief on)
  • you’re a partner in a business partnership
  • your income from renting out property was more than £2,500 (you’ll need to contact HMRC if it was between £1,000 and £2,500)
  • you earned more than £2,500 in untaxed income, for example from tips or commission
  • your income from savings or investments was £10,000 or more before tax
  • you need to pay Capital Gains Tax on profits from selling things like shares or a second home
  • you’re a director of a company (unless it was a non-profit organisation, such as a charity)
  • you, or your partner’s, income was over £50,000 and you’re claiming Child Benefit
  • you have income from abroad that you need to pay tax on, or you live abroad but have an income in the UK
  • your taxable income was over £100,000
  • if you earn over £50,000 in the 2021/22 tax year and make pension contributions you might have to complete an assessment to claim back the extra tax relief you’re owed
  • you’re a trustee of a trust or registered pension scheme
  • your State Pension was your only source of income and was more than your personal allowance
  • you received a P800 from HMRC saying you didn’t pay enough tax last year.

How to register for self assessment with HMRC

There are different ways to register for self assessment, if you’re self-employed, not self-employed but need to declare income, or if you’re in a business partnership.